I am EESDA

Hi! I am a fish lover from the Philippines. In the Philippines, we call fish as "isda". Then, I notice my initials are E, E, S, and D. Also, my family and I call my fish place the "Aviary." We do so because it was initially built for the family's African love birds and finches. So, I combined my initials and the initial of "Aviary." There is the pattern: E-E-S-D-A. This approximates "isda."

I am EESDA, fish lover from the Philippines.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Daphnia Culturing (With Pictures)

I wanna share with you breeders out there how to culture your daphnia for you baby fish!

Let's start first with the base

The Fish that poop for me
Some fish can't be left alone without aeration. They need to have filters. So instead of throwing away the waste, why not use them?

The Filter Is Black Magic
Of course, poop has to go somewhere and away from your fish. So we check the filter.

The Soupy Goodness
Daphnia need water. So we need to make soup for them. I get the filter media and scoop some water from my fish tanks then wash the filter media there. Then I pour all the soup to my culture container.


The Food of the Food
To grow your daphnia, you need to feed them. Feed them yeast once everyday. Give them enough to cover good part of the surface.

The Harvest
After a few days, you will have a booming population. You can harvest up to half of your culture. Make sure to feed them so they keep on breeding.


Some notes...
1. watch out for mosquitoes...they can destroy your culture
2. watch out for rains especially during the day...your daphnia can easily float away

Here's a tip for #2
I use a piece of cloth or filter wool. You can see those in some pictures. Dangle it on the edge: half inside the tub and the other half outside the tank. Water will flow out of your container by capillary action. No need for hose draining or scoop/dipper draining. It will drain when it has to and it won't when it doesn't have to.


So I hope this would be helpful for you in culturing your own daphnia!!!

6 comments:

  1. any aeration or temperature requirement for the daphnia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no aeration needed

      temperature requirement...not more than 85F
      just keep it in the same temp as your fish

      Delete
  2. Kailangan pa po ba ng starter for the culture? Hindi po kasi ako makahanap ng starter e. Ano pa po ba ang mainam na gawin pag walang starter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kailangan talaga ang starter culture...kapag walang starter, hindi makakagawa ng daphnia, hanap ka na lang ng ibang options

      pwede kang sumubok ng infusoria...sa internet may mga info kung paano magculture

      isa pang option is bbs (baby brine shrimp)...IME, best gamitin yung OSI / Crystal brand

      Delete
    2. kung makakahanap ka ng starter culture, microworms din pwede

      Delete
  3. Ginamitan ba ito ng starter?

    ReplyDelete