I am EESDA

Hi! I am a fish lover from the Philippines. In the Philippines, we call fish as "isda". Then, I notice my initials are E, E, S, and D. Also, my family and I call my fish place the "Aviary." We do so because it was initially built for the family's African love birds and finches. So, I combined my initials and the initial of "Aviary." There is the pattern: E-E-S-D-A. This approximates "isda."

I am EESDA, fish lover from the Philippines.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Less Strains, Less Strain

It's been a while since I last posted. I've been busy with the fishroom then not busy [got sick]. During my sick days, I started to think how complicated it is to maintain a lot of lines. My dreams of getting a really large farm for my fish has faded because it can only come later. I now just want to maximize the tanks I have so far.

Here's a breakdown of my tanks:
3pcs 100gal tanks
3pcs 20gal tanks
4pcs 35gal tanks
8pcs 18"x18"x12"
30pcs 12"x18"x12"
1pc 36"x18"x12"
1pc concrete pond (around 55-70gal)
16pcs 4"x6"x8"


Here's what I'll use them for:
16pcs 4"x6"x8" = Male Individual Tanks: These tanks will be used as they are.

4pcs 35gal = Female Betta Community Tanks: I will have one tank for the form betta lines I will maintain. Formwise, most of the fishes will be halfmoon plakats (HMPK) carrying doubletail (dt). The offspring will be a mix of singletail (st) and dt fish. I will have one specific form line, CTPK. At first, I really segregated and diversified my lines numbering to more than fifteen. I decided that I should integrate some lines together.
1. Copper-based Line = Copper + Platinum + Pastel + Grizzle + Marble
Since my Marbles have red, I might inject some red loss genes or maybe even yellow. I have a copper-based spawn that produced no red in the offspring. The lineage is:
Copper DTPK x Copper DTPK             Copper DTPK x Red HM
               Copper Marble DTPK      x     Multicolor SD                    (half-sibling cross, same father)
                         Green marbled, no red expressed
2. Bicolor/Butterfly Line = Copper Red + Copper Orange + Copper Yellow + Platinum Red + Platinum Orange + Platinum Yellow + Cambodian + Butterfly + Blue Black Lace
I will be producing red/black butterfly bettas. To further integrate my lines, instead of using the red gene to produce the red color in my lines, I will use a combination of nr1 (yellow) and nr2 (orange) genes. A fish with nr1 and nr2 does not produce yellow nor orange but it produces red. Crossing two of these nr1nr2 fish will produce 25% yellow, 25% orange and 50% red in the offspring. I have all three colors in one combination.

For Lines 3 and 4, I do not really care about the color but am focusing on form. I will be solidifying the Pearlscale body and CTPK form.
3. Pearlscale Line = I just combined the different pearlscale lines I have = Copper + Marble + Platinum Red
Actually, these lines are very related. I have actually one male that started as a Copper but Marble-d out and now he is a Platinum Red. It's like magic.
4. Crowntail Plakat (CTPK) Line = CTPK line, any color/pattern
For this line, I specified "any color/pattern" because I want to fix the form. Currently, the colors of my CTPK are iridescent and metallic. However, if I see a CTPK with a really good form in the future, I will try to get it and if I do, I will not hesitate to breed it no matter what color it may be.

However, I do not intend to rigidly and strictly implement these divisions. I would like to keep my options open. I recently noticed a broad-dorsal female from my F2 CTPK line and that would perfectly match the broad-dorsal (almost sailfin) HMPK I have. I will not hesitate to cross them. Development could be hastened this way.


30pcs 12"x18"x12" = Betta Spawning and Grow-out Tanks/Guppy Deliver and Grow-out Tanks: I have spawned bettas in these containers and I have raised fry in these tanks. I do not plan to move the fry unless I have to. I think less work for me means less stress for them and of course, myself.
I will be breeding guppies too and I plan to maintain two lines: Green Cobra and Black Moscow. For the guppies, I will be separating males from females. To do so, I will be taking the females from the delivery tanks and putting them together with the Female Betta Community Tanks. In a Female Betta Community Tank, Green Cobra and Black Moscow females will be placed together.
This is how I will divide the 30 tanks to the 6 lines:
6pcs Copper-based Line
6pcs Bicolor/Butterfly Line
6pcs Pearlscale Line
6pcs CTPK Line
3pcs Green Cobra
3pcs Black Moscow

3pcs 20gal = Scalare Spawning Tanks: I will just use 3 tanks for my scalares' breeding. After a pair has spawned, I will remove the breeders from the tanks and transfer them to the Scalare Breeder Waiting Tanks.
For my scalares, I plan to maintain only three lines. All will have the Philippine blue (pb) gene and will carry Veil (V) genes as well.
1. Blue Marble Smokey / Blue Leopard = My idea here is playing with the Smokey (Sm) locus. Fish will have either one copy (to produce a Blue Marlbe Smokey) or two copies (to produce a Blue Leopard). I will be fixing the Zebra (Z). For the marble, Marble (M) genes will be the main focus but Gold Marble (Gm) genes will also be mixed. Breeders will be M/M-Z/Z or M/Gm-Z/Z.
2. Pinoy Paraiba / Sunset Paraiba / Koi Paraiba = My idea here is to fix the Stripless (S) genes. The play here will come from the Dark (D), Gold (g) and Gm genes. Parents of this cross might be D/g, Gm/g, D/Gm, D/D, Gm/Gm or g/g.
3. Albino Platinum Pearlscale = This would be a straight-forward line. The fishes will be homogeneous for four genes: Philippine Blue (pb), Gold (g), Albino (a) and Pearlscale (p). This line can be modified by adding the Z and S genes but still maintaining some wild (+) genes. The variations will include +/+, Z/+, S/+, Zebra (Z/Z) and Blushing (S/S) Variations.

1pc 36"x18"x12" = Scalare Breeder Waiting Tanks: This tank will be used to hold my scalare breeders that will not yet be bred or are done breeding in the 20gal tanks. I will put a divider in this tank so the males and females will be seperate. I do not want any unplanned spawning because I can only give so much space for them.

8pcs 18"x18"x12" = Scalare Primary Grow-outs: After the fry have hatched, I will be transferring them (still attached to the breeding slate) to these tanks. I will be raising them for a month or two here and tranfer them to the Mixed Grow-out Tanks.

3pcs 100gal & 1pc Concrete Pond = Mixed Grow-out and Holding Tanks: These tanks will be used as secondary grow-outs for the scalares and transfer grow-outs for my bettas and guppies. Since I will be growing most of the fish here, these tanks can serve as holding tanks for the fish that I will have for sale. People will choose directly from the grow-outs on retail or I will harvest directly from these grow-outs on wholesale.


Possibility of Future Integration.
If for some reason, I have to deviate from this scheme. I can possibly add some load to certain tanks.
1. The female betta community tanks can also house some guppies for delivery. These same tanks can also be a temporary grow-out for scalares.
2. The scalare breeder waiting tank can also be home to female bettas for a little growing-out and all-female guppy populations.
3. The guppy delivery and grow-out tanks can house bettas for growing out. It will be alright if the bettas are bigger than the guppy fry. Guppy fry grow much faster than betta fry. Scalare for grow-out or waiting can also be put in but only a handful.


So, there you have it. These are the planned use of my current tanks. I just hope everything works well after I have done the transition. I also pray that I will stick to this plan. I do not want to get sidelined and ruin the plan I have made.


UPDATE (10/23/2013)
I have been sidelined. I haven't had the chance to follow up on this. School has helped me somehow. If I didn't want to trim down on my own accord, my hectic schedule did trim my fishes down. Here is my new approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment